Your ecommerce solution is only as powerful as the platform behind it.
With 2020 being officially Magento 1s’ EOL it’s high time for merchants to make a decision on their next platform of choice.What are the benefits of Magento 2?
What other benefits will you have from migrating?
- Improved speed and performance
- Superior admin experience
- Better omnichannel experience
- Built for the future with new technologies and a framework for progressive web apps
- Built in B2B platform ( Magento Commerce )
- Page builder for easy and rich content creation ( Magento Commerce )
We encourage merchants to take this opportunity to redesign their online store, declutter and re-think some of the decisions made in some cases 5 to 10 years ago.What are the steps for the migration?
The migration is a complex process, but using our expertise we will make sure this is a process that runs smoothly and transparently.
Here are the high level steps and processes needed to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2:
This is the process of migrating products, product attributes, categories, orders, customers, promotion rules and static content.
This step is performed using Magento’s data migration tool. It’s generally a smooth process and the only data that will require additional work is data coming from customisations and extensions.
As a first step our team will take an inventory of all extensions and customizations.Next, as a team effort we will decide which extensions and customizations are essential for the customer experience, which ones need improvement and if some of them can be phased out.Again, the migration should also be seen as a good moment to declutter.
As with extensions, customisations cannot be simply migrated and they will need to be rebuilt. Ideally by now we have a clear idea of the features needed but some of the questions we should ask are:
- Are we rethinking the customer experience to make it more personalized?
- Do we need the ability to rapidly update content?
- Are we expanding into new international markets?
- Are we creating loyalty and other programs targeting repeat customers?
As with extensions you cannot directly migrate your Magentop 1 theme. The options here are:
- Decide that you are happy with the current UI in which case our team will re-build that into a Magento 2 theme
- Take this opportunity to redesign the user experience. That could be the case with a design that is old, one that is not mobile friendly enough or simply the customer experience is not as easy and frictionless as possible
While Magento 1 and Magento 2 ways of operating the admin area are not that different, it is important that your admin team receives a comprehensive training so that the learning curve is smooth and efficient.
Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration - timeline and cost
Just like a new build, migrating from M1 to M2 is a process that will depend on your business needs and current project size.How long does it take?
Depending on the complexity of your current solution the migration can take anywhere from 3 months to 9 months.What’s next?
Deciding on your partner for what is essentially a new build of your ecommerce platform can seem overwhelming.
Our recommendation is to look for an agency that can cover all or the majority of the points below: Our recommendation is to look for an agency that can cover all or the majority of the points below:
- The agency has done at least a couple of migrations that are in production mode
- The agency is a Magento partner or can demonstrate experience and in depth knowledge of the platform
- At least part of the team members are Magento certified
- They ask the right questions during the discovery phase of the project
If you made the decision to migrate to Magento 2 or still have questions about the process please get in touch. Our team of certified Solution Specialists is ready to start the conversation!